Sunglasses are one of my favorite accessories because it’s one of the few times when it’s acceptable to throw shade. But there are benefits other than making a fashion statement:
- Wrinkle prevention. The right pair of sunnies will protect the corners of your eyes from those pesky wrinkles whether it is sunny or overcast.
- Ultra violet ray protection. If the glasses do not provide 99-100% UVA and UVB protection do not buy them.
- Sand and allergen protection. Wrap around glasses are best for this type of protection.
Remember, the fate of your sight is in the eye of the beholder.
Sunglasses are my favorite make-down and, in some circumstances can replace make up (i.e the beach, gardening, etc. . .). They give your face attitude without apology and mystery minus the anonymity.
Want to be “eye-conic” in a shady world? This how – to video provides a basic process to follow when you are trying to achieve “the look”:
Next week we will list the stores that sell the best “eye candy”.
What is the new fashion feat? Mismatched shoes! That’s right. It is now fashionable for your feet to enjoy diversity. As a sleep deprived new mother, I began this trend years ago when I showed up for work in one brown shoe and one black shoe, but I will allow the designers to take credit for this “contemporary” look.
Be careful how you attempt to rock this fancy footwork. You can’t wear a sneaker with a sandal – that would be a toe-pas. The look has to be far more subtle. Observe and listen:
What are your thoughts????
Congratulations to James and felicitations to Pippa (nee Middleton) Matthews. Now that the nuptials have passed, let’s compare the wedding styles of the sisters.
Kate in profile with Pippa holding her train.
She wore long lace sleeves and an illusion bodice. The deep v neckline was perfectly constructed to her form. Her flowing locks drifted down her shoulders and stood at royal attention. Simply grand.
The dress featured a peek-a-boo back, cap sleeves and high neckline. Then there was the veil dotted with pearls… sheer perfection. Her upswept hair was beautifully coiffed. Stunning.
Two sisters, two different styles, too fabulous!
In celebration of the upcoming nuptials of Pippa Middleton, sister of the future Queen of England, we decided to honor her and Kate with our “sibling style-ary” designation.
Sibling style-ary is our term of endearment for famous siblings who share a timeless sense of style. As you can see from the picture above, these two have gone through quite a fashion transformation since their formative years. While Kate is happily waving, Pippa does not seem quite as taken with their look. Nonetheless, both style mavens have evolved into the fashion icons we know and love today.
While they are both similarly fabulous, their styles are distinct. Kate’s style is more dignified and regal, while little sister Pippa’s style is decidedly more fun and edgy. Somehow that mischievous grin Pippa frequently flashes seems to finds its way into her wardrobe. Let’s compare:
Pippa’s LBD (Little black dress) Kate’s LBD
Kate in red & black Kate in white lace
Pippa in red w/brown boots and bag Pippa in a bright print
Pippa in a royal blue peephole gown Kate in a royal blue cold shoulder gown
Kate in stripes and peep toe shoes
Pippa in big bold stripes and wedges.
Can’t wait to see the difference in their bridal styles!
“A woman who does not wear perfume has no future.”
Secure your future – even on a budget! Purchasing perfume can be costly but there are ways to save dollars on your scents. Here are some tips:
- When you have no money or you forgot to spray up before you left the house, stop by the fragrance counter at your local luxury store. Try the fragrance testers to see which scent you like the most. When you find your favorites, ask for samples. They are usually free, although some stores will give samples only if you buy something. There are also samples you can buy inexpensively.
- If you have some money, go to the stores and buy scents only around the holidays or when there are special events. Not only are they cheaper, they are usually sold as a set with freebies. Ask for samples as well because if you are a traveller, they are lightweight and can be stored in your purse rather than your luggage. Perfume travel atomizers are also helpful because you can fill them with your favorite fragrance and they cost from $7- $10 on fragrancenet.com.
- You can also purchase fragrances online, but be careful. Sometimes the scents are old and may not have an authentic smell. Read the return policies very carefully before you buy. Always google reviews for online companies. The reviews we have seen have been mixed. In addition, if you are not living in the United States know that import taxes and duty may apply which would drive up the cost of the items.
- While it may be tempting to buy scents from the corner vendors, it is not recommended. You cannot be sure where the scents came from, what is in them, how old they are, where they were kept, and if they are authentic. All of those variables affect the strength and safety of the scent. For example, improperly stored fragrances are less potent or may smell differently. Bootleg scents may cause irritation to your skin. These items are typically non-refundable. It simply is not worth the trouble.
For those of you who are wondering where on your body perfume would best be applied, Coco Chanel had the perfect answer, “Where you want to be kissed.”
Now that the Prom-Mother’s Day-Graduation-Wedding season is upon us, every moment of fitting room traffic will be rush hour. This is the perfect time to learn how to have a fit. A good fit. Here are some tips that will help you and the retailer:
- Dress for the occasion. When you are going to try on clothes, wear clothes that are easy to get in and out of.
- Go to the bathroom BEFORE you shop. There is nothing worse than having to give up your dressing room to go to the bathroom.
- Wear under garments . . . PLEASE. Would you want to be second in line to test drive a bathing suit after the first person rode it bareback?
- When trying on blouses, skirts, and dresses, pull them over you head. Do NOT step into them. It is very easy to break garment closures (i.e. zippers, buttons, etc…) when you step into these garments. Step into jumpsuits, rompers, slacks, jeans, and shorts.
- Do not try on clothes right after you have been to the gym, run a marathon, or completed the 5k bike-a-thon for the homeless. Hygiene is of paramount importance. Also, clothes cling to a sweaty body like flies on flypaper.
- If you are pulling up a pair of pants or skirt and you are struggling at the hip, gracefully accept the agony of defeat, take it off, and try on the next size.
- If you put a dress over your head and it won’t go past your bust or hip line, see number 5.
- When you finish trying on a garment, put it back on the hanger immediately. Garments should never be placed on the hanger inside out.
- Gather all your items before you leave. I once left a pair of Gucci sunglasses in a dressing room, returned for them 15 minutes later and they were gone. I am still looking for the person who took my eye candy.
- Always shop at least an hour before closing time. When you are in a rush you tend to dress quickly and unintentionally damage the clothes (beak seams, pop buttons, etc…).
Be calm and shop. Remember, life is not perfect but your outfit can be.
Join the Tribe! Vintage Vibe Tribe (VVT) members buy and/or sell on the hottest online vintage sites. We are always on the lookout for fresh inventory and attainable prices (prices that are affordable with or without a payment plan). VVT members know how to put elastic in the plastic (credit card) by shopping for sales and making comparisons of the best prices for authentic designer pieces. This month we are highlighting shopping sites Potero Luxury, Rebagg, and Shopbop.
Potero Luxury (www.potero.com)
This site offers the finest selection of pre-owned and gently used vintage and contemporary handbags, watches, jewelry and accessories. They guarantee authenticity. In addition:
1. payments can be made by major credit cards, bank wire (read carefully and follow the directions) and eligible shoppers may finance their purchases with Affirm.
2. all returns accepted EXCEPT items sold as FINAL SALE. Return policy is very specific. Read it before you purchase. If you have to return something, address all the requirements.
3. company accepts consignments.
Mixed reviews. Read them first Google: Potero reviews
If you are cleaning out your closet or could use some extra cash, think about selling your designer bags. Rebagg offers cash for well-kept, preowned designer handbags. They do not consign. The process is as follows:
1. upload pictures of your handbag to their site and they decide if they will buy it.
2. receive their decision within 2 business days.
3. bag is picked up (NY only) or a prepaid shipping box is sent to the seller.
4. seller is paid two to three business days after the Rebagg receives the item.
Mostly positive reviews. Read them all. Google: Rebagg reviews
Shopbop offers a comprehensive, hand-picked collection of new apparel and accessories from the industry’s foremost contemporary and designer labels for women and men. Shopbop is part of the Amazon.com Inc. group of companies. This company offers:
1. easy and free returns for Amazon Prime members.
2. free 3 day shipping.
3. translations in at least eight languages but outside of USA be aware that VAT, import fees and customs fees may apply.
4. acceptance all major credit cards and eligible buyer may finance with AFFIRM.
5. guarantees authenticity.
Mixed reviews. Read: Site Jabber, Trust Pilot, and Shop Venture. Google: Shopbop reviews
“The only thing that separates us from the animals is our ability to accessorize.”
– Clairee Belcher in the movie Steel Magnolias
That movie was worth watching just to hear that quote! Every fashion forward person knows that accessories can mean the difference between a FAIL and a PREVAIL in your look. Accessories individualize your outfit. They help you express your personal style.
To make a good decision about what to purchase, consider the following:
- Determine if the accessory complements you. If you need help, ask someone who you know will tell you the truth. Look at pictures of stylish people with body and facial features similar to yours. Pay careful attention to what they are wearing and not wearing. DO NOT BUY AN ACCESSORY JUST BECAUSE IT IS TRENDING OR BECAUSE “EVERYONE ELSE HAS IT.” Remember this is your chance to make a fashion statement. “Me too” is a phrase NOT a statement.
- Determine the purpose of what you are buying. Is the accessory a necessity? For example, you may see a pair of shoes or a belt that you must have and you might buy it even though you have nothing to wear with it….yet. That’s called an accessory before the fact. That’s not an immediate necessity. So if your budget is tight, try to let it go (unless the price is so good you can’t say, “No.”)
- Then there are other times you may have an outfit that needs something more. You might search for the proper scarf, jewelry, or hat. That is called an accessory after the fact. Since this item is essential to completing your look, it is an immediate necessity. Buy, buy baby!
Something to Think About:
If your wardrobe and budget were limited and you could splurge on one accessory, what would it be? I would choose a huge silk scarf. Why? Scarves are one of the most versatile accessories in fashion. Consider of their various uses:
Next Time : Jewelry: It Don’t Mean a Thing, If You Ain’t Got No Bling?
Sibling style-ary is our term of endearment for famous siblings who share a timeless sense of style. This month we are highlighting Queen B and Solange. Both have had style-ary since the womb. We can always count on them to give us something to react to.
What is so compelling about them is that they are a pair with individual styles. Their clothes always make statements but never the same statement. They are fearless in their expression of their styles.
Lesson learned : Embrace your individual style without fear of reprisal!